Thursday, May 26, 2011

May 26, 2011 – The Last Drink

Here I am, staying up till midnight, guzzling water. It’s the last liquid I’m allowed to have until after my thyroid surgery tomorrow, which is scheduled for 2:45 pm.

I wish they’d give me a later time for that last drink, when surgery is scheduled for later in the day, as mine is. I’d be willing to set the alarm and get up in the wee hours, if that would mean I’d spend less time tomorrow feeling like I’m crossing the Sahara.

Today some uncertainty arose about whether or not I’ll even have the surgery tomorrow. The reason is that I’m running a low-grade fever. I don’t know what bug I’ve got or where I got it, but I’ve been having intermittent headaches, joint stiffness and feeling general malaise for a couple days now.

After taking Tylenol, I’m only a degree over normal, so the resident from Memorial Sloan-Kettering I spoke with today said we should proceed. He said to keep taking the Tylenol if I still have a slight fever, and call them if it gets any higher.

I sure don’t want to postpone this. Too much mental preparation has gone into it – not to mention clearing my calendar. If the fever proves to be an obstacle, though, so be it. It's up to the docs to make that call.

Not that I’m looking forward to a surgeon cutting my throat, of course. But I know it has to be done. I also know the odds of a successful surgical cure are about as high as they get - close to 100% - so that makes it a lot easier to contemplate.

The later time also means Claire and I will have the distinct pleasure (I’m being sarcastic, of course) of driving across Manhattan in the late morning. The original estimate was for a very early operation, which would have meant – with us having to be there two hours early – that we would have been crossing Midtown around 3 or 4 a.m. New York may be “the city that never sleeps,” but at that hour it would mostly be the Yellow Cabs and the occasional delivery truck we'd have to contend with. Oh, well.

The surgery should last about an hour. Then, it’s an overnight stay in Memorial Hospital, with a return home by car sometime on Saturday. After that, the prediction is for a day or two of recovery, then a return to normal activities.

More details about the surgery may be found here, in my March 28 blog post.


Anonymous said...

I agree....those "no water/food" instructions would be more helpful if adjusted to your actual timetable!

Nonetheless, you seem to be in good hands & good spirits- headache & fever notwithstanding.

Know that you're buoyed by many prayers, including a whole bunch of them from Bordentown.

Be well, my friend, & heal quickly!


suzsc said...

Thoughts and prayers are with you, Carl, for a successful surgery, the hoped-for outcome, and a quick recovery. XXXSuz.

Ronni Gordon said...

Good luck with the procedure ... and with crossing Manhattan. Love the illustrations that you use. You are very creative!

Anonymous said...

Many people including us will be thinking and praying for you and also Claire today and in the days to come. We look forward to seeing you back in the pulpit engaging us with one of your inspiring sermons. Charlene/Harvey