Thursday, July 12, 2007

July 12, 2007 - Biopsy Results Delayed

Yesterday I got a call from Dr. Lerner’s office, letting me know the biopsy results will take longer than anticipated to come in. (That comes as no surprise to me: I suspected all along that receiving the pathology report in three days was probably a stretch.)

Bottom line? My appointment with Dr. Lerner has been rescheduled for next Friday, July 20th. I suppose I may get a phone call a few days earlier – or, he may just wait till I’m there in the office to tell me what the report says.

This is turning out to be a summer of making it up as I go along. It’s hard to do any sort of planning – for vacation, taking Ania to college, or anything else – when the earth keeps moving under my feet. It’s a new experience for me to live day by day, rather than by the calendar.

Gilda Radner found this out, as she learned how to live with cancer:

“I wanted a perfect ending. Now I've learned, the hard way, that some poems don't rhyme, and some stories don’t have a clear beginning, middle, and end. Life is about not knowing, having to change, taking the moment and making the best of it, without knowing what's going to happen next. Delicious Ambiguity.”

(Thanks to Rob Pollock for the quotation. I found it on today's installment of his blog.)

My recovery from the needle biopsy has been rapid. I removed the bandage after 24 hours, as instructed. The area at the base of my right neck, where the needle went in, is still a little swollen and tender, but there are no ill effects.

That’s the latest news, such as it is. Stay tuned for further bulletins.

No comments: