Friday, December 23, 2005

December 22, 2005 - A Gift of Poetry

Today, out of the blue, I receive an e-mail from a friend I haven’t heard from for some time. Bob retired as Monmouth Presbytery’s executive presbyter several years ago, and has been living in Nova Scotia. He heard of my diagnosis, and decided to send some encouraging words.

Bob’s encouragement means a lot, because - as I’ve just learned - he has had a successful battle with cancer himself.

One thing Bob and I have in common is that we are both Associate Members of the Iona Community in Scotland. Here’s part of the e-mail he sent:

"As you have indicated, the lymphoma is in a deep, difficult place to reach - witness the (painless?) biopsy (which gave some good news). I read and re-read this prayer-poem by Maggie Wallis in the October 2005 issue of Iona Community’s Coracle. I claim that there is something else going on inside of you:

You inhabit my empty space
I watch the geese fly to you
The wind seek you endlessly

And in there
Somewhere beneath my rib cage
Is a spot I cannot touch

That aches
With the breadth and depth
Of Eternity

And that
I know is
You

All I know is that God is with us to bless and to heal. And I know God is with you NOW more than ever."

I couldn’t have said it better! Thanks, Bob.

No comments: