Friday, July 01, 2011

July 1, 2011 - Biopsy Results and Follow-Up Plans

I’m writing this in Indianapolis. I’m here for a few days for the Presbyterian Church’s “Big Tent Conference,” a national training event.

In the rush to get packed and to the airport, I didn’t have time to report on my Wednesday afternoon follow-up consultation with Dr. Boyle, so I’m doing that now.

The news continues to be quite good. The doctor examined my surgery scar and says it’s healing well. The hardness of the tissue around the scar is normal, says he, and will diminish in time. He says I’ll probably always feel a certain tightness as I move my head up and down, or side-to-side, as do most patients who’ve had this surgery.

Dr. Boyle gave me a copy of the post-surgery biopsy report. It confirms the presence of cancer cells in both lobes of the thyroid, so total surgical removal was definitely the way to go. The report also identifies some cancer cells that were found in the fatty tissue that surrounds the thyroid, which isn’t all that unusual.

As for the pathology itself, my needle-biopsy diagnosis of papillary thyroid cancer was reaffirmed, with the further refinement that I have the “tall cell” variety of papillary cells. This is a somewhat more aggressive form of the papillary cancer.

Because of (1) the tall-cell diagnosis, (2) the concern about the cancer cells just outside the thyroid, (3) my age and (4) my male gender, Dr. Boyle is definitely recommending that I receive a single radioactive iodine treatment within the next 6 months. That treatment used to be nearly universally used as a follow-up for thyroidectomies, but now it’s thought that this procedure was over-prescribed in the past. Only certain patients now receive it, and those factors mentioned above make it essential in my case. Dr. Boyle says there’s no doubt about the advisability of going ahead with that, and who am I to disagree?

So, how concerned should I be about the tall-cell diagnosis? One paper I found online cites a study that found that the 5-year survival rate for tall-cell papillary thyroid cancer patients was 81.9%, as compared to 91.3% for ordinary papillary thyroid cancer patients. Those are still mighty good odds.

On Dr. Boyle’s recommendation, before leaving the Basking Ridge, New Jersey facility of MSKCC, I made an appointment to see Dr. Stephanie Fish, an MSKCC endocrinologist, on Friday, August 5. She’ll be the one who will oversee my radioactive iodine treatment.

As I understand it, that treatment involves some dietary restrictions before and after. As for the treatment itself, I’ll simply have to swallow a pill, which includes the radioactive substance that will make a beeline for any residual thyroid cells that may remain in my body, and zap ‘em. There are no side effects to speak of, although I’ll have to stay away from other people for a few days following the treatment, because of the radioactivity that will persist in my body.

Bottom line? There’s every reason to be confident that the combination of my total thyroidectomy with the radioactive iodine treatment that’s ahead of me will lead to a complete cure. The tall-cell variant is a concern, because it leads to a measurably higher risk, but the overall picture is still quite encouraging.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

MY OH MY. ALL I CAN DO FOR YOU IS CONTINUE PRAYER, WHICH I WILL DO.I WATCHED MY OLDEST BROTHER GO THROUGH CANCER. HE LOST THE FIGHT BUT THE MINISTER AT THE VA HOSPITAL IN SYRACUSE TOLD ME HE ACCEPTED CHRIST BEFORE HE PASSED OVER. ISN'T THAT WONDERFUL. KEEP THE FAITH. YOUR TOUCHING MANY HEARTS.

GRANNY FROM FLORIDA

Whidbey Woman said...

Try not to focus on statistics, although I understand the need to research your diagnosis and prognosis. My husband has far outlived doctors expectations and for that, we give God the glory. Keep strong, Pastor.

suzzcq70 said...

I had total thyroidectomy and selective neck resection at MSKCC on July 5th. I am also scheduled to see Dr. Fish on Friday, August 5th!

Good luck in your recovery and further treaments!

Carl said...

Thanks, all, for the prayers and good advice.

And suz, what a small world it is sometimes! Maybe I'll run into you in Dr Fish's waiting room. My appointment's at 10:20 am.

suzzcq70 said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
suzzcq70 said...

My appt is 9:40! I'll look for you. I don't remember if I have many face shots on my own blog so you can see what I look like. Its mostly pictures of my kids :)

http://suzzcq70.blogspot.com/